The Coming Storm


The new expansion for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn was just announced over the weekend last week and I’m excited for it. Much more so than Final Fantasy XV and the remake of Final Fantasy VII. And the reason might seem weird, it’s because it’s an MMO. FFXIV is the first MMO that I played and I was hooked by it. To those who know me know that I’m a prefer to play my games solo with a side helping of competitive multiplayer on the side from time to time. So what really got me playing, and quite fanatically at times, was how the game set itself apart from the likes of World of Warcraft.


How it sets itself apart is that it is primarily single-player focused. Yes, you see other players with cool gear that you might not procure until 40 or 50 hours down the line but interactions with others is not a necessity and while dungeons and raids require multiple players, the game provides ways to group up without the embarrassment of shouting from the rooftops. From time to time, there might be a long waiting period but it affords me the opportunity to level up my other classes while waiting.


With what little I know about the Stormblood expansion has me excited because it means that the game continues to be supported and there doesn’t seem to be any sign that it’s gonna stop for a while. New classes, new areas, all typical bullet-points for a new MMO expansion but it’s the fact that together with the announcement a notice was also given out that the PlayStation 3 version would not get the new expansion. Cruel as this might sound, but I would like to see how the developers would take advantage of newer hardware to create better events without holding back to make sure they work on older hardware.


So yeah, I’ll be definitely keeping an eye on the progress of the new expansion while trying to invest time back into the first expansion. Truth be told, I haven’t finished it yet.

Comments